See New Edit Below!
My experience on "Let's Make A Deal" was so surreal.
Last September I went to California to visit family. While there, me and Isaac's aunt, Kay Jean, went to a tapping of "Let's Make a Deal" where audience members are selected to participate and win prizes. We lucked out scoring tickets because there were only two days left of filming for the season. If you've never seen the show, you're missing out! To attend the show you don't
have to be in costume, but everyone is and it's super fun. Plus, the key to getting picked for a deal is having high energy, a good back story and a unique costume. Of course I have high energy (even at 12 weeks pregnant when I was fall-on-your-face tired), and I totally rocked the "my husband is in the military" story, but I needed a costume that would stand out. Cue my wonderful aunt Kay Jean! Somehow I came up with the idea of dressing as a helicopter (inspired by my husband's job) and took to the internet for ideas an inspiration. With butcher paper and a crayon in hand, I outlined to my aunt what I wanted to do. With her experience and knowledge of science and being a volunteer (practically teacher) in the schools for years, she helped put the idea into formation with the practical materials and engineering ideas. Took a couple hours to put together, but I think it turned out pretty good, and so did LMAD!
 |
| ticket to get in |
|
 |
| The helicopter costume. |
 |
| The shirt said "co-pilot on board" I was 11 weeks pregnant, now my son is 8 weeks old :) |
I was so pumped to see this show. I mean, Wayne Brady is so freaking funny ("Who's Line is it Anyway and "How I Met Your Mother") and I'd watched LMAD so many times, I just HAD to be on the show. So we showed up a couple hours before our call time, which may have been a bit extreme considering we were #2 and #3 in line for a good hour before anyone else showed up. There was checking in to do and interviews. For the interview part the interviewer (a very high energy guy) pulled about 15 of us aside and fired off questions. "Where are you from? What do you do?" was pretty much what he asked everyone. From our group alone there were four of us selected to go on stage to play.
 |
| me totally freaking out, so excited! |
 |
| Lots of waiting, so I had a burrito and coke (this prego momma was hungry!) |
|
|
Part of the fun experience of attending a taping was all the people I met. I may or may not have been told a time or two I have the gift to gab, and this was a gabbers paradise. In the waiting room (before being bused over to the studio) is where the same high energy interviewer gave us and "do's and don't". My #1 take away was have high energy 100% of the time because you never knew who was watching.
Once in the studio, they seated us not in order, but all over the place. I was in the second row on the left of the screen, under Johnathan's announcer box, in the isle. The "money fairy" (Chris) came out and gave us the lowdown and basically said, "don't act like a jerk if you get selected" because some of the prizes you may not want, but keep in mind America is watching, people in hospitals are watching, and they count on you to keep their spirits up. (true story, watching this show on the cold Minot winter days was sometimes the best hour I had all afternoon, don't judge, judggy mcjudgerson) Oh, and also, don't try to negotiate. Take what you are given or don't, but barter is not part of the game (I quickly forget this as you will see later).
Person after person was called and finally Wayne announced "this is the last deal! Who wants to make a deal?" I'll be honest, at this point I figured I wasn't being called, but I wasn't about to look like an asshat and sit there all glum, I was still dancing around having fun (and I really was, it was such a fun experience!). One name was called and offered these little Russian dolls. There was a whole bit on how to pronounce the name, but that part was cut in the final show. He could take the dolls or go for the curtain, "whatever you don't take I will give to... helicopter!" Wayne said. I about peed myself, this was really happening!! I leaped out of my seat and remember giving Wayne a hug and practically taking his eye out with my rotor in the process. We bantered back and forth, he was so easy to talk to. we made helicopter noises (his is a thousand times better than mine) and talk about how no one wants to visit North Dakota (he got the whole audience to say they would, but of course that part got cut, along with our helicopter noises, lol). Since the last guy took the curtain (he won a motorcycle), then I was left with the russian dolls, or, he offered me the box on stage. Whatever I didn't pick he was going to give to another lady he called down. This is where I decided to break the rules (truthfully, I didn't realize that's what I was doing, and I still don't think I did, I was simply asking for clarification). I asked if I picked the dolls and they ended up being a Zonk, if I could in fact keep the dolls because technically I "won" them. There was this long bit with asking Monty Hall (the original host of LMAD way back when) and it seemed to drag on forever, but with skillful editing it looks smooth and funny. The verdict was I could keep the dolls. Wayne even said "hi" to Corinne. The bit turned out really well. So I passed on the box (a set of really nice cameras) and was so terrified the dolls were a Zonk, but at least I'd have something from the show! This is where Wayne offered me cash. I had already determined if I was ever on the show and cash was offered up to a certain amount I would take the deal (because cash is easier to carry home than a new fridge or hot tub). I took the cash, but inside the dolls was a trip to Florida worth almost $5,000. Bummer! But I was still happy with my choice and even though I didn't pick the dolls, they gave them to me (for my daughter) anyway. The thing with the show that you don't see is you actually don't get the prize, even cash, until up to 90 days
after the air date. So many plans for the money, but we just bought a house, and I'm pretty sure the money will go towards a new swing set/jungle gym for the back yard for both my kids. #momlife
 |
| Here's Corinne with her dolls! |
When I saw Corinne after the taping, I gave her the dolls, she fell in love with them right away. I snapped a couple pics right away, but of course had to wait till now to post them. I've had to keep my mouth shut about this for over 7 months!
Thank you so much to LMAD for such a fun wonderful experience!!
 |
| saying hi to Corinne! |
 |
| Corinne's dolls! |
 |
| Wayne and I connecting with our mutual knowledge of "auto rotate" |
Corinne saw the episode and said, "My dolls!" lol, never mind mommy was on tv too.
EDIT 8/27/17: It took a little over two months, and about a week before moving, but I finally got my show money! We quickly spoiled ourselves with new Apple watches (one for me and Isaac) and a trampoline for Corinne. Money well spent I tell ya! Yes, we could have been more "responsible" but it's like I told Isaac when I won the money, I only planned on blowing it on something fun. Yes, we have enjoyed our winnings. :)