Road Trip Adventures!

Life has been a crazy adventure since we got official orders. For the next four months or so Isaac is to be stationed in Albuquerque, NM to finish his training before heading to Minot, ND for our permanent station.

Where to begin:

Since getting our orders on 1-13-14:
I went to visit my brother and his family in Knoxville, TN (7.5 hours away) for a night. I figured it would be the last time I'd get to see him for who knows how long. Isaac had to stay behind because of work.

Melody, such a ham
Harley, Melody and Alex
The following week the movers came, we checked out of housing and hit the road to New Mexico. Me driving my car with the cat and Isaac driving his SUV with the pup and a 5x8 Uhaul trailer.
The first day Isaac's vehicle started to overheat, but we made it to our hotel that night. The next day about two hours into our trip Isaac's vehicle started smoking and sputtering-coolant leaked completely out. After getting a tow (pat on my back for keeping our roadside assistance), a dingy hotel for the night, and a new radiator later, we were on the road again. This time we stopped at Granny's house in Arkansas (my great grandmother on my dad's side) and my grandmother happened to be staying there too. We originally planned (and had booked) a hotel near by so we could spend more time, and also see my aunt in Oklahoma City the next day, but being that the trailer had to be returned to Albuqeruque no later than Monday, we were on a time crunch and forged on to Wichita Falls, Texas that night.

Granny, Me, Grandma

After leaving Granny's place we drove through Oklahoma and almost to Texas before Isaac got stopped by a blue light special. His trailer lights were not working properly so the officer wrote him a warning and asked him to put on his flashers-the funny thing about that is only the top left light worked, so it looked as though he was always wanting to make a left turn. I also noticed as we pulled away, that one of his headlights were out... it only gets better and better when it comes to our transportation. One of the tolls we hit didn't have an attendant, and the way it was positioned I had to step out of my car to put the money in. On the road again I noticed my all black furry companion missing. Since it was 3am and no one was coming through the toll, I threw my car in reverse and saw a very frightened little kitten having no clue what to do on a major highway. Poor thing was shaking when I picked him up and set him back in the car.
The hotel we checked into happened to be worse than the last. In fact, my husband posted about it: 

Are you in need of a motel room which comes with any and/or all of the following amenities?
A. Someone was most likely murdered in last week
B. Is haunted
C. Smells like the butt hole of the smoke monster from lost
D. Has a ripped up box spring for your cat to hide in and not find him
E. A door with no working lock
F. A pool covered in a rust encrusted pool sheet
G. Stray cats
H. Hotel staff that English is DEFINITELY their second language
I. All of the above
If you answered yes to any or all of these, then do I have the place for you!
Set in the scenic wine country of Wichita Falls, Texas. By scenic I mean there are scenes and by wine country I mean behind every restaurant it seems there is a public landfill for everyone to discard unwanted sofas, clothes, and dog feces. The Ramada Inn and "Suites" will surely not disappoint if ones hopes to be infested with bed bugs and crabs by tomorrow's sunrise.


I laugh every time I read this. The thing is, the next cheapest place was twice as much. Yes, the military reimburses us, but not for another 5 months, so I went the cheap rout. Never again. 

The best part about Wichita Falls?? This woman right here, my mother. 

 She is currently serving as a supervisor at a Christian shelter to help woman get back on their feet. I just couldn't believe my luck that I got to see her again on my way to our new base. 

Isaac's vehicle kept giving him problems the whole way, and my baby bump was giving me some of my own- so I ditched my husband and high tailed it to Albuquerque so I could rest. He made it about 2 1/2 after me because he had to take it slower and stop every hour. 

Through it all I know Heavenly Father was looking out for us. I am sure the trip could have gone much worse. Us and our stuff made it safe to our destination. Thankfully we had family to welcome us to Kirtland AFB. Isaac's cousin Jake is also an officer stationed at KAFB with his wife, Ashley- they are due to move shortly after we do. Talk about awesome timing! They are such wonderful hosts to boot, we sure are lucky to have them and looking forward to getting to know them better.  

Next blog- our time off adventures, so far they are much more pleasant. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day 2020

Honeymoon

anticipation