Engagement


Isaac and I fell for each other pretty fast.

I think he's the most beautiful man I've ever met (and he tells me I'm the most beautiful woman). So the physical part was there right away. But I've had physical relationships before, I wanted to know he liked me for much more. And I can tell you, we've had our fare share of disagreements and tears, he likes me for me. I mean, he drove all the way down to Arizona with me (him driving most of the time-total of 30 hours round trip) just so he could meet my family and some friends. We've now spent a couple of the major holidays together, and I've met all his close family and lots of friends. I just feel like I fit here. I love him and his family, they are all so wonderful. 

     Back in late September/October he asked me if I wanted to go look at engagement rings. I choked the first time. The next time, I suggested to him we go look at rings, so we did. We went one other time too, but I didn't want to be the one picking out the ring, I suggested if he were to ask me to marry him, he should be the one to pick out the ring. 
      He confessed in November that he put a down payment on a ring. WOW! 
      I almost thought he would ask me Christmas time to marry him.... but nothing yet. 
   
        The day before we got engaged we drove down to Salt Lake for a wedding expo. I had already picked up a few bridal magazines and a book about snagging some wedding bargains, but I wanted to get a better idea of what this whole wedding this is about. I must admit, I'm pretty clueless to the whole wedding world even though I have been to plenty and been in a couple. Even the weddings I've been in, I've really just kinda showed up and stood there (flower girl and bride's maid for my aunts).
       All day long people kept asking me and Isaac when/how we got engaged. The first time I just shot him and look and said, "See! I told you people would be asking." I warned him that it might be weired going because we were not officially engaged yet. But it ended up not being that weird, and I'm glad he wanted to go (yes, HE wanted to go... I think more than I did). 

THE DAY 01/08/11
          That Saturday I had work at 8am, which was nice because that meant I would be done by 4:30pm. Isaac had talked about maybe going down to Salt Lake that day for a gun show, but decided against it because he didn't want to be gone all night too. 
      At about 4:40, I got a text message from Isaac asking if I was off work yet. I text him back saying I wasn't scheduled to be off work till 4:30pm, but I was still with a customer and wouldn't be completely done closing out till a little after 5pm (he thought I got out at 4pm). He then wrote back saying he was waiting outside. I told him to come in and wait, I'd just be a few more minutes. He looked very anxious, and I asked him what was up, he said I just needed to hurry because the sun was going down. I told him I would be just a few more minutes, he said, "Well, hurry up because I'm feeling really bold, plus, I need you to call your dad." 
I knew right then and there he was going to ask. (YIPPEE!!!!) Then he said he would be waiting outside in the jeep. I quickly finished up, and told my boss, "I need to go now, I think he's going to ask me!" 
             I hopped into his jeep and away we went. He said he was going to take me around town to a few of our first date spots. I dug in my purse for my phone to call my dad, but for some reason, it decided to freeze on me. I dug around again for my other phone.... then I realized I had forgotten it at work. I told Isaac, "Well, can we go back and get it?" The look on his face told me no, then he said, "Well, I guess we can wait till tomorrow to go driving around."  NO! "No, I told him, I'll just wait to when we come back later to pick up my car to get my phone." I finally got my phone working right and called my dad, he was in a good mood from working hard all week. We chatted for a bit before I handed over the phone to Isaac. Isaac sounded and looked so nervous; it was too cute! Of course he was asking my dad for my hand in marriage, and of course my dad said yes, and "welcome to the family".
            I was so giddy. Isaac was driving us up to campus, I knew the exact spot he was taking us. It was the spot we decided to become boyfriend and girlfriend "officially". This time though, we took a different rout that was up a snowy hill. My shoes were took slick and I kept on slipping, so Isaac carried me on his back up the hill. Once we got the the area, I looked around the different trees to figure out which one was "our tree". We could see the Logan temple lights really bright and pretty from that spot and I just stood there for a moment taking it all in. Just then I looked down and noticed a towel sitting by one of the trees. At first I thought, "did someone forget their towel up here?" I looked at Isaac, and he said, "what's that?" pointing to the towel. I almost asked if he put that there so we could sit down by the tree, but just then he bent over the white towel and said, "what's in there." Then it hit me, I asked, "oh, did you put this here for me?" He just smiled and unwrapped the towel. Wrapped in it was a dozen red roses and a keepsake box he made for me. Opening the box, he pointed out he had put in it all the things that reminded him of me; pictures we had taken together, puzzle pieces from the puzzle we worked on, letters I had sent him while he was at boot camp and several other mementos. My favorite was a poem he put together for me that consisted of word magnets (you know, those little magnets that go on your fridge, that when put together spell out a phrase of some sort).  They were all words that reminded him of us. So cute and sweet!! I was almost expecting a ring at the bottom of the box, but it was hard to see because it was getting dark. No ring. I assumed he would give it to me at a different spot on our journey that night.
         We walked down the snowy hill back to the jeep, on the way back however, I stopped because I realized Isaac was not behind me. As I turned around, I noticed him tying his shoe lace. So I stopped for a second, noticed he was getting back up, so I turned to walk back to the jeep again, but I didn't hear his foot steps. When I asked him what was wrong, he said he had a really bad ich, but he would just meet me at the jeep. So I started to walk back to the jeep.... then I realized, even if I got to the jeep before him, I didn't have a key, and plus, it would be more polite for me to wait. So I turned back around again, and I noticed he had a very shocked look on his face and something in his hand. Right then and there he asked me. I just threw my arms around his neck saying yes over and over and again and giving him lots of kisses. Then I looked I let him put the ring on my finger, and tried to look at it, but it was too dark to see the full effect of the ring, plus, right then and there, it started to snow. What perfect timing! 
            After, we went to Texas Road House for dinner-I told him once he asked me we would have to go there to celebrate (I really wanted a good steak, and even though there is a fancy restaurant here in Logan, I hear the food isn't that great.)
            I got to call a couple of people that night, but realized quickly that everyone wanted the story, and the more story I told, the less time I got to spend with Isaac.Solution? We decided to just post our status on facebook and tell everyone all about it later. So here you have it, our engagement day story.
The End


The Ring

 Just trying to be artistic here... this is set in one of the flowers he got me



Oh, and as far as date and location of wedding, that is still TBA. Right now we are wanting to get sealed here at the Logan Utah Temple on May 28th, 2011, but have to wait 'till the temple starts taking reservations again on the 18th of January, so I will know for sure by then. For those who are not yet endowed, or do not want to go/can't to the sealing, we will also have a ring ceremony after the sealing at a location TBA (somewhere near Logan, UT). All are welcome to come to the temple to welcome us as the newly married couple and take pictures after the sealing. (more details to come!!!)

-Jen

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day 2020

Honeymoon

anticipation