Flat Tire
Last week (or was it two weeks ago now?) I got a flat tire. Ironic however, is the little known fact that I have traveled several thousands of miles from one end of the country and back 6 times, not to mention countless road trips all over Arizona , and have never had a completely flat tire. Thank goodness Isaac was there. About a mile from home I hit a huge man-hole, and quickly noticed I had a hard time controlling my car. As soon as I could, I pulled over, and sure enough, flat tire. Actually, my tire had completely separated from the rim. I had been told several times how to change a tire, so I quickly got to work helping Isaac.
I'm sharing this with you because it was a good test for the relationship.
As a side note, we had just been looking at wedding rings (for him) and were debating on what kind to get him. Being that we still have the wedding to pay for I was not expecting to really spend more than $300 on a ring. Turns out, that piece of metal was more that I budgeted for. Initially, Isaac was big on the idea of getting one of those tungsten rings, or titanium. But after talking with a couple friends, Isaac was sold on the idea of a gold ring. Even though the gold was more than I had budgeted for, I was determined to find a way to get it for him.
Back to changing the tire. Isaac was the one to fix it, I just held the light and the bolts. So picture this: it's after 9pm, right past a street light on the side of the road, and just about 0 degrees outside with snow on the ground. Isaac is on his back, cranking away at my little lift thing to get the car high enough to change the tire. Now, if that's not love, I don't know what is. He was tired, frustrated, and very cold. After finally changing the tire, we head back to his place to air up my very flat spare. Though cold and frustrated, Isaac manages to smile and say, "well, I guess this is God's way of saying 'no gold ring,'" because he knew I would have to get two new front tires (I had only planned on one because it was going bald, and tires for my car are very expensive).
Since then he has convinced me he does not need, nor does he want, a gold ring. In fact, he has picked out the exact ring he wants. Funny thing is, in the end, it really is just a symbol to remind you, and everyone else, of your eternal companionship.
I expect Isaac and I will have many more hard times, be it with each other or with life, but we are lucky enough to be able to spend our time with each other, and for that I am VERY grateful.
-Jen
I'm sharing this with you because it was a good test for the relationship.
As a side note, we had just been looking at wedding rings (for him) and were debating on what kind to get him. Being that we still have the wedding to pay for I was not expecting to really spend more than $300 on a ring. Turns out, that piece of metal was more that I budgeted for. Initially, Isaac was big on the idea of getting one of those tungsten rings, or titanium. But after talking with a couple friends, Isaac was sold on the idea of a gold ring. Even though the gold was more than I had budgeted for, I was determined to find a way to get it for him.
Back to changing the tire. Isaac was the one to fix it, I just held the light and the bolts. So picture this: it's after 9pm, right past a street light on the side of the road, and just about 0 degrees outside with snow on the ground. Isaac is on his back, cranking away at my little lift thing to get the car high enough to change the tire. Now, if that's not love, I don't know what is. He was tired, frustrated, and very cold. After finally changing the tire, we head back to his place to air up my very flat spare. Though cold and frustrated, Isaac manages to smile and say, "well, I guess this is God's way of saying 'no gold ring,'" because he knew I would have to get two new front tires (I had only planned on one because it was going bald, and tires for my car are very expensive).
Since then he has convinced me he does not need, nor does he want, a gold ring. In fact, he has picked out the exact ring he wants. Funny thing is, in the end, it really is just a symbol to remind you, and everyone else, of your eternal companionship.
I expect Isaac and I will have many more hard times, be it with each other or with life, but we are lucky enough to be able to spend our time with each other, and for that I am VERY grateful.
-Jen